Every morning at 4:45am I wake up I head downstairs to turn my alarm clock off – I keep my alarm clock downstairs to make sure my butt gets out of bed in the morning (and because electronic devices in the room you sleep in aren’t healthy) – and get started on my Daily List.
My Daily List is a series of 10 Daily Habits that I perform everyday, Monday to Sunday, without fail.
These are the things that help drive me forward in my life, my training and my business.
Simply put, if I just do these 10 things everyday – regardless if I get anything else done – I know that I’m better than I was yesterday.
I know that my business, training, life will be moving forward in some way or another.
Just briefly, here’s what everything means…
My Daily Habits
- HRV – I use an app that checks my Heart Rate Variability which is a great way to determine how much stress you’re under and what your training load should be for that day.
- Water, lemon, bicarbonate & seas salt is a drink that I make myself every morning that I learned from my friend who is Natural Medicine Specialist – I put 500mLs of water in a mason jar and add the ingredients (video to come).
- Epictetus/Affirmations… I read a quote from a book of philosophical translations from Epictetus and then a sheet of Daily Affirmations that I have compiled over the years.
- Then I read over my GOALS for the week, month, quarter and year as if they have already happened.
- After reading the affirmations and goals, I’m in the right mindset to WRITE and I plop myself in my seat – either at the kitchen table or at my desk – with my mason jar of water and don’t get up until I churn out 500-1000 words.
- My reward for writing – although writing is a reward in and of itself – is to make myself a French Press of really amazing coffee with some raw cream from our farmer.
- It takes a few minutes for the coffee to steep in the French Press, so I’ll literally roll around on the floor and do some OS Resets to mobilize my body and get my blood flowing.
- While I’m sipping my coffee, I’m back on my computer writing an EMAIL to YOU about the things that are important to me and that will help guide your training and life.
- I finally open my MAIL app on my Mac after that and have a list of Business Friends that I contact. Everyday, I make sure I contact 2 current friends and make the effort to contact ONE NEW FRIEND or potential business partner.
- Then I TRAIN – everyday I make it a point to do something physical…I usually take Sunday off.
- Finally, after training, I sit down with a thermos full of Raw Milk (the absolute BEST post-workout drink around) and a business related book and sit and READ FOR AN HOUR.
That’s how the start of my day is structured. EVERYDAY.
It took a while for me to find a routine that works. But there is research to support how I developed this way of doing things.
Donald Hebb (a Harvard PhD psychologist), was a controversial and world renowned expert and researcher in the fields of psychology, behavior and habit change. In his groundbreaking book The Organization Of Behavior, Hebb says, “nerves that fire together, wire together.”
This statement and the supporting scientific evidence to back this up over the years has changed the way people approached behavioral change.
Dr. Hebb basically found that the more you do something, the easier it is to do.
Every time you break your diet, or decide to avoid the gym you are making it easier for you to do this. Eventually you bad decisions become a subconscious habit.
These subconscious habits, whether you realize it or not are what made you into who you are today and will shape who you will become in the days, weeks and months to come.
This could reason why people get fatter and fatter throughout their lives. You make one bad choice, then another and eventually… These bad decisions make it nearly impossible for you to change.
But…there is good news
Since we now know for a fact that you become what you repeatedly do, doesn’t that mean if you make enough of the right decisions then your old BAD habits will die and your NEW GOOD habits will become the new normal?
Imagine, developing new and powerful good subconscious habits that support a healthier, happier and better looking version of you…To always make good decisions without even having to think about it.
These GOOD subconscious habits, are usually the difference between people who have the body they desire and live the lives they want and people, who like my client, couldn’t seem to change.
So here’s my challenge to you…
For 30 days I’d like you to carry around a checklist of the habits YOU need to develop.
We’ll re-evaluate after 30 days… If you’re succeeding with your habits, we’ll add more things that are important to you.
If you’re having trouble sticking to things, then we’ll take some away and narrow our focus down.
Start today by simply identifying a few habits that you want to make a permanent part of your life.
Things like sleeping more, exercising 3 days a week, eating more veggies, etc. And then create a checklist to make sure you do them.
Once you have CONSISTENTLY performed these habits for 30 days, add in another one and keep on going.
Let’s focus on moving forward and being better than we were last year!