Do you have a Life List?? A list of all the things you want to accomplish in your life before you “pass on”?? (Also known as a “Bucket List” or “BAHGs – Big-Ass Hairy Goals”, a term coined by one of my earlier business advisors, marketing genius Glen Hunt, who wrote THIS.)
I was inspired to do this list after reading this post by Chris Gillebeau of The Art of Non-Conformity.
According to Gillebeau, “A life list is simply a list of long-term personal goals, often expressed as ?X things to do before I die.? Life lists are related to, but also different from the Ideal World (how things are in your world now) scenario, the Annual Review (as in monetary or business related goals), and your ongoing list of active projects.”
So, for example, one my major goals is to get out of debt.? And although this may be a HUGE achievement on my end when it does happen, it wouldn’t be included in my life list because of it’s practicality.
The purpose of this list to show myself how wild I can dream or to challenge myself…
1. To do things that will make me feel alive,
2. To do things for the betterment of human kind that I can have direct influence on
3. To do things for those that I love because, well, I love’em.
4. To experience life as a child again.
So based on that criteria, here is a list of things that I’d like to do before I leave this world and enter the next…
Chris Lopez’ Life List
1. Learn how to surf in Maui.
2. Take my wife to Bora-Bora and stay in one of those private huts in the middle of the water.
3. Take my wife and each of my daughters to Paris individually.
4. Build a school in Africa with my family (that’d be Me, Rozanne & our 5 kids…obviously when everyone’s grown up).
5. Take my parents, my brother and my in-laws to Disney World for a week (Purely selfish. I want them around so that they can babysit and Rozanne and I can get on some rides!? J/K.? My parents & my brother have never been!)
6. Go to a soccer game in Spain.
7. Go to the Summer Olympics.
8. Meet Michael Jordan.
9. Get a tatoo.
10. Play beach volleyball at Manhattan Beach, California (the Mecca of beach volleyball).
11. Open an Organic Espresso shop (espresso is another passion of mine).
12. Drive the entire Pacific Coast Highway (Route 1 in California) in a convertable staying at really cool B&Bs and watching the sunset.
13. Train with The Harlem Seals.
14. Do what I love for a living. check!
15. Publish a book on Fatherhood.
16. Spend a month in a Shaolin temple learning from monks (I’ll obviously need more than a month, but I’m thinking practically here).
17. Build my own fixie.
18. Watch the EBC at Rucker Park in NYC (I was going to say “Play in the EBC at Rucker Park”, but I’m not stupid).
19. “Semi-retire” for a year (a la Tim Ferriss) to give myself time to do all of the above.
Now, it’s your turn….
So what’s on your life list? ?Is there anything that you’d do differently or anything wild and crazy that you’d like to do? ?Write it down, focus on it, and it’ll happen.
…and please share some of your Big-Audacious-Hairy-Goals!